Thanks to reader/close friend Roger De Rok for the picture!
Everyone loves to demonize bacon. But whats so bad about bacon anyways? Take for example just on the McSoG post where Dangeruss commented on how he has a hard time viewing bacon as a healthy food. Many of us have the same problem. Bacon is viewed by our collective CW society as optimizing bad diet.
I have 3 theories on why this is:
1. We are still stuck on Ancel Keys bs “fat is bad for you” theory. This has been pretty heavily debunked but still sticks with us in out conventional wisdom ways. Bacon has plenty of fat in it. Heck, you can SEE all the delicious fat all over it. In our minds thanks to Ancel Keys, it is still sometimes hard to get over the though of fat=bad.
2. We have this thought that if something tastes good or feels good… it must be BAD for you. Because eating healthy is supposed to be hard right? No way it can be easy. NOT! This is another one that we have a hard time getting over. Your body still knows whats good for it. Just because something tastes good does in fact NOT mean its bad. Just look at all the delicious, real food we get to eat in our primal lifestyle.
3. Some bacon IS bad. Many companies process the hell out of their bacon. They add sugar (bad), nitrates (may not be as bad as we think), and other chemicals and crap. This has given the rest of the bacon a bad name.
Now lets take a look at why bacon can be good and healthy. (Assuming of course you get bacon that is as natural as possible without the added sugar and crap.
1. It is full of protein and fat. This fits in perfectly with a primal/paleo profile.
2. It tastes freaking awesome. If you can’t stick to an eating program that greenlights eating bacon… I don’t know what hope ther is for you J/K of course… you can be primal WITHOUT eating bacon… but seriously… dude… bacon.
What are your thoughts? Do you love tha bacon as much as I do?