First off, due to the stellar response from yesterdays post, I will be revamping the way I do these exercise posts. I will do an introductory to exercise portion for beginners and also an actual more complex workout that I perform for the exercise experts to weigh in on. This way we all get to have a little fun. Today’s focus is easy because I recommend this as a foundation for beginners and experts alike!
SoG exercise principle #1: Walking
Walking is so important. It makes me sad at how quickly it is overlooked. I would actually consider walking the most important exercise that I do. I recommend a 30 minute to 1 hour walk at least 5 days per week. For me this means I take an hour walk during my lunch on work days. My walk usually ends up being about 4 miles. Not only does this work wonders for my physical health but also for my metal health.
For the beginner: There is no better place to start than this. Almost anyone can walk. It does not require any fancy equipment, gym memberships or acrobatic skill.
For the expert: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. This is one of those exercises that you don’t have to get progressively better at. You still reap the benefits of this “low level cardio” activity. Just because you are fitter now or can do heavier weights or more complex exercises doesn’t mean you should progress your walking to jogging. Stick to the walking.
Benefits of walking:
1. It is low impact and easy on the joints. Much easier on the body than jogging.
2. It can improve posture.
3. Walking has been shown to greatly reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
4. Walking has been associated with increasing HDL cholesterol (or “good” cholesterol).
5. Regular walking has been shown to reduce the risk of need gallstone surgery by over 20%.
6. Walking increases endorphin release and improves mood.
7. A daily walk is a great opportunity to get your needed dose of vitamin D.
8. It is a great opportunity to clear you mind or get some thinking done.
The list of benefits goes on. The most important benefit for me is an observed one… when I walk, I jest feel better. To me, it doesn’t get any better than that.
No doubt about it, when Grok wanted to get somewhere… he walked. He didn’t hop in the car, call a cab, take the bus or use a rascal. Get back to your primal roots and and some good walking to your Primal life.
What are your thoughts?